Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"I believe in woman's liberation. I'm tired of the image of the woman of the most sanitary toilet bowl, the cleanest floor, and the brattiest kids as the supermother. I want to be able to change with my children and to change with my life as I grow older. Staying at home and taking care of the kids doesn't help."


Before reading the caption, make up your own caption based on this image. Now, as you read the real caption, does it fit with your interpretation of this domestic scene?

What complexities does this caption reveal about the woman's movement during the early 70's? Are women today still grappling with some of these same issues?

Does this woman's logic hold, or are there some inherent contradictions in her argument?
Considering the tone of the caption, how would you interpret the print above the fireplace?

Do you find some symbolism in the fact that the family room curtains are closed to the outside world?

2 comments:

  1. She can be liberated, if she wanted to she could get her kids and go for a walk. The change starts with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steven Tyler, anyone?

    ReplyDelete