Thursday, October 21, 2010

"I like the suburbs. They provide Girl Scouts, PTA, Little League, and soccer for my kids. The thing I miss most is Black cultural identity for my family. White middle-class suburbia can't supply that. Here the biggest cultural happening has been the opening of two department stores."


 Based on this caption, discuss the advantages for children and mothers living in the suburbs.

Do you think that the suburbs, by their very nature, are largely devoid of cultural diversity?

Discuss the difficulty encountered by racial minorities in the suburbs as they attempt to hold on to their cultural heritage.
How would you handle the pressure and complexities of being the only racially distinct family in your community?

What does this woman imply about the opportunities for cultural and social activities in her community? Are the suburbs of today so sterile?

1 comment:

  1. This photograph captured my attention the most. I feel individual and cultural identity can be lost in the banality and repetition of Suburban life. However, it is not avoidable.
    I am a white, middle-class American who grew up in Suburbia (in multiple suburbias), but I don't believe Suburbia inherently means "white" - not today. I think that's more a product of geography. For example, my last neighborhood in Houston, TX was filled with Hispanics, Asians, Middle Easterners, Caucasians, and African Americans. I felt that we were pretty diverse.
    This exhibit, however, reaffirmed my dislike for suburban lifestyle. It doesn't suit me. It feels too confined, too plastic and fake. It made me focus on the bounty of what I do have versus what I don't have.

    ReplyDelete